2 заметки с тегом

geometric Art Nouveau

It had taken a decade and a half from the end of the building number 5 construction before the ensemble of Pavlovskiy houses with low-cost apartments was supplemented with the last building — the number 6.

About complex   81/1, Kanatnaya Street   81/2, Kanatnaya Street   81/3, Kanatnaya Street   81/4, Kanatnaya Street   81/5, Kanatnaya Street   81/6, Kanatnaya Street

Type of building: administrative building, educational building
Style: geometric Art Nouveau
Architect: L. M. Chernigov (?)
Date of building: 1910s
Status: object of background housing

Facade

General view from the building number 3 side General view from the building number 1 side
General view from the building number 5 side General view from the windows of the building number 1 Front facade from the building number 1 side

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=218301489096028915799.0004d255edba24002ef8f&hl=ru&t=h&ll=46.466906,30.747111&spn=0,0&output=embed

Unfortunately, the exact details of the construction date and the author of the project are not available, that does not prevent, however, to conduct a free analysis of the house architecture. The authorship of L. M. Chernigov can most likely be supposed, as in the design of the building there is a number of elements peculiar to the architect. The building is strictly symmetrical; a silhouette is rectangular with a trapezoidal eminence in the central part. A similar technique was used by Leonid Chernigov, for example, in a house of Russow on 38b, Koblevskaya Street. A similar silhouette can be seen in a later creation of the architect on 9a, Preobrazhenskaya Street. Building facades are treated in a restrained manner of geometric Art Nouveau style with separate elements of the modernized Empire style and Russian neoclassical revival of the period (for example, moulded wreaths placed symmetrically at the level of the third floor, near the edges of the facade plane).

Decorative details of the ground floor

Windows with a uniting dripstone Windows with a traditional dripstone

Decorative details of the second and third floors

Composition of dripstones, ribbons, geometric decoration Composition from the windows of the same pattern Windows with the uniting dripstone Decoration in the piers One of the wreaths Windows of the second and third floors

Front facades are almost devoid of decoration, in the center of each there is a massive risalit of the staircase in the entire height of the building, flanked at the third-floor level by bay windows, having the shape of a circle quarter in plan. The bay windows are the only details diluting the monotony of front facades.

Risalit of the staircase

Bay windows, flanking the risalit

A view of the bay window from the building number 1 A view of the bay window from the building number 5

The layout of the building is unusual for residential architecture and it is likely that the building number 6 was designed for the arrangement of the various offices and services of Pavlovskiy houses. Both entrance halls on each floor are interconnected by means of a long corridor, on the sides of the latter apartment doors are located. The ceiling of the third floor rooms is much higher than the ceiling of other floors (it is clearly visible and in height of the third floor windows). Over doorways to the entrance halls metal canopies, made ​​in a single style with the architecture of the house, were preserved.

Canopies of the doorways

Canopy of the front facade from the building number 1 side Canopy of the front facade from the building number 5 side Canopy of the front facade from the building number 5 side, a detail

In stair railings a simple geometric pattern was used, various variants of which are found both in the buildings of rational Art Nouveau and in the later constructivist buildings.

Entrance hall

Staircase, a view downward

Railings, general view of the flight of stairs Railings, general view of the flight of stairs Railings, a fragment of the flight of stairs Railings, the horizontal stair banister between flights of stairs Railings, a fragment Railings, a fragment Railings, the horizontal stair banister of the third floor Railings, fastening of the rods Railings, fastening of the balusters

Door of the corridor

Ceiling of the staircase, a fragment of the cornice

In general way, the architecture of the building number 6 contrasts sharply with the other buildings of the complex, bringing into their ensemble a considerable dissonance (first of all by the style and number of floors). However, taken as a separate building, the house is a rather interesting and original example of geometric Art Nouveau of the first half of the 1910s.

 

 

References and Archives

Authors

At the turn of the 1880s and 1890s, Odessa was adorned with the largest at the time residential complex. According to the posthumous will of Odessa benefactor P. Z. Yamchitskiy, near the Kulikovo Field, the architectural ensemble, the scope and monumentality of which strike and today, was raised.

About complex   81/1, Kanatnaya Street   81/2, Kanatnaya Street   81/3, Kanatnaya Street   81/4, Kanatnaya Street   81/5, Kanatnaya Street  81/6, Kanatnaya Street

Type of building: residential complex

Style:
Eclecticism, Renaissance (buildings no. 1-5)
Geometric Art Nouveau (building no. 6)

Architects:
F. V. Gasiorowskiy (building no. 1)
N. K. Tolvinskiy and engineer K. V. Chodetskiy (buildings no. 2-5)
L. M. Chernigov (?) (building no. 6)**

Date of building:
1885-1887 (1st stage, building no. 1)
1890-1895 (2nd stage and completion of the construction, buildings no. 2-5)
1910-е (building no. 6)

Status:
Local architectural monument (buildings no. 1-5)
Object of background building (building no. 6)

Other addresses:
9 and 11, Italianskiy Boulevard
2 and 4, Yamchitskogo Lane
1 and 3, Orlikova Lane

Photograph from the beginning of XX century guide

Pavel Zakharovich Yamchitskiy (about 1800-1882), a secretary assistant of the Odessa Commercial Court, received before 1841 a rank of the titular counselor, among other things, was engaged in charity. During his lifetime, however, he was unknown, although he made a considerable fortune and owned a house on 8, Richelievskaya Street. 1841 year became a turning point for him. September 28 his year-old daughter Varvara died, and on 3 November the same year, at the age of 22 years, his wife Maria Efimovna went away in other world because of a fever. After outliving them for forty years, Pavel Zakharovich Yamchitskiy died in Odessa, December 1, 1882 at the age of 82 years. On 2 December, after a funeral service at the Cathedral, he was buried in the Old Cemetery.

January 11, 1883, the Odessa District Court claimed to the execution of three spiritual testaments of Yamchitskiy. Among other things, he bequeathed that to the example of St. Petersburg Society of cheap apartments, a building named after his name(Pavlovskiy) was built in Odessa for habitation in it citizens of the city that matched the specified by him conditions. Besides Pavlovskiy building as Yamchitskiy wanted had to belong to the city — «an inalienable forever property of Odessa». According to the will, for the management of the construction of the building and then operation of the house, Mikhail Bogdanovich Nilus (as director) and Iona Galagan (as an assistant) were assigned. To help them the City Council was to elect two public deputies to the end of the construction. There were two more executors in the testament of Yamchitskiy — Stanislaw Dunin and Victor Sahnovsiky. By the end of 1890, Iona Galagan left his duties, but Dunin, on the contrary —fulfilled. They concerned debentures of Pavel Yamchitskiy (Nilus and Sakhnovskiy had already been dead). According to the testament, in the case of power removal from agreed executors, one of the sons of Maria Klimenko or Anna Veselovskaya, probably relatives of Pavel Zakharovich, had to be appointed instead. And so it happened: on 12 September, 1897, according to the decision of the City Council, Boris Klimenko became a director of Pavlovskiy building and his assistant — Sergey Veselovskiy. Yamchitsky bequeathed to sell his own house on 8, Richelievskaya Street and use the proceeds for expanding the complex of Pavlovskiy buildings. However, this house suffered from the fire, and Klimenko and Veselovskiy delayed the sale of the ashes for a long time, thereby preventing the city in actions under the will. The story ended with a lawsuit and lengthy assize.

Pavlovskiy houses on the map of Mikhail Diterikhs (1894)—left, and on the map of Odessa

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=46.467538,30.746602&num=1&t=h&hl=ru&ll=46.466932,30.747777&spn=0.00269,0.005681&z=17&iwloc=near&output=embed

By 1895, the construction of five of the six currently existing buildings had been completed. The largest at the time residential complex in Odessa was repeatedly mentioned in guidebooks and references of city sights. A. S. Borinevich dedicated a part of the article about the charity in Odessa, wrote to the centenary of the city and went down in the jubilee digest, released in 1894 by the Committee of City Government, to Pavlovskiy building of low-cost apartments:

«... so-called „Pavloviн building with low-cost apartments“ P. Z. Yamchitskiy left in his will, approved in 1883, a capital of 511,000 rubles (Author: In terms of today's money, this capital can be estimated at more than $ 10 million. Capital was spent partly on the construction of the complex, and in part put at interest used to maintain the buildings in proper form) [...] in order to construct a building named after his name(Pavlovskiy), „for housing in it, with the payment of money at a rate of no more than 3 percent of total income, and in exceptional circumstances and free of charge, for those Odessa citizens, mostly Christians, who are not discredited by the behavior, have settled life here, their furniture and some craft or other means for subsistence. “ The city allotted a free space of the former Dragutinskie plantations, in the amount of 3,450 sazhens: in 1885, a laying of the main building, which was completed in 1887, was made: in 1889 the second building was constructed, in 1891 — the third and in 1893 — the fourth. All three-storey houses consisted of 23 flats of three rooms each, 103 — 2 rooms and 37 — one room: in addition there were 6 shops and the apartment for administration „.

Record in the address directory (1908)

Shortly before the completion of construction, in November 1893, Public school for children living in the building was opened. Their learning, textbooks and manuals were free. At Pavlovskiy house there was a permanent physician whose services the residents of the complex could use for free. Medicines and necessary at first medical benefits patients also received free of charge from the home pharmacy at the building office. The location of schools, shops and the home clinic, unfortunately, is unknown. According to the data of the same 1893, six hundred forty-one people of both sexes lodged in the building, 32 of them did not pay for accommodation.

Photo of the early XX century, right away — the building no. 1

The first of the six buildings the building no. 1 was erected. The building is located at the corner of Kanatnaya Street and Italian Boulevard and occupies a quite complicated in plan asymmetric site. The architect F. V. Gonsiorowskiy, in fact, not only erected the building itself, but also developed a general layout for the quarter development (within the limits of Kanatnaya Street, Italian Boulevard, Orlikova and Yamchitskogo Lanes). N. K. Tolvinskiy, who continued the construction of the complex, partly followed this plan, having built four buildings on the perimeter of the quarter, saving number of storeys of the ensemble and the overall style with the building of Gonsiorowskiy. At the end of the second stage of construction under the guidance of Tolvinskiy in the middle of the block there appeared a large courtyard, which was originally planned for a small garden and placing of smaller, service buildings.

However, this area was empty for a long time, and only after more than a decade and a half, in the center of the courtyard, a large, differing from the surrounding buildings, the building 6 — four-storey parallelepiped of geometric Art Nouveau style appeared. Unfortunately, data on the exact date of its construction, as well as the author of the project are not available; however, analyzing the architectural design of the building, it can be found parallels with the work of architects L. M. Chernigov and A. Minkus.

All buildings constructed by Tolvinskiy are interconnected along the building line by one-story annexes that gives the courtyard of the complex some intimacy. Their front facades are rusticated similar to the first storeys and it has the effect of continuity and solidity of the construction.

In the courtyard a small, square in plan, construction with cut corners, raised in the tradition of „brick style“ and overlapped by a low octagonal tent roof remained. Among the versions of its original purpose, the most likely is a version of the electric substation or dovecote. However, it is — just a guess.

Construction of unknown purpose

General view Window opening

On the other side of the courtyard another interesting item survived, part and parcel of Odessa of the end of XIX century — the filling well.

Well

View from the building no.3, on the left —the building no.6, in the distance —the building no.5 General view

Pavlovskiy houses of low-cost apartments had successfully performed their functions until the revolution. These functions have not changed in the Soviet era; however, like most of the pre-revolutionary Odessa apartment buildings, the buildings of the complex were rearranged and subjected to the „compaction“. The subsequent history of houses was not violent. In 1923, at the address 2,Yamchitskogo Lane (i.e. exactly on the side of the complex with cheap apartments) 1st Maternity Hospital was located .

General view of Pavlovskiy complex with low-cost apartments (about 1917). On the left —the building no.1, on the right —the building no. 3, between them, in deep —the building no.6

In the 30 years of the Pavlovskiy houses passed the next wave of renovations, the original plan was finally broken, but its general outlines were preserved. During the Soviet period, the buildings were not repaired for years and fell into desolation, and today their dilapidated condition can hardly be called even satisfactory. However, the complex of Pavlovskiy houses with low-cost apartments is valuable not only from the architectural, urban planning and historical point of view; it is a peculiar monument of the generous charity, so typical for the inhabitants of Odessa XIX century.

Building no. 1

Architecture of Odessa. 81, Kanatnaya Street

Building no. 2

Architecture of Odessa. 81, Kanatnaya Street

Building no. 3

Architecture of Odessa. 81, Kanatnaya Street

Building no. 4

Architecture of Odessa. 81, Kanatnaya Street

Building no. 5

Architecture of Odessa. 81, Kanatnaya Street

Building no. 6

Architecture of Odessa. 81, Kanatnaya Street

 

 

References and Archives

Authors