2 заметки с тегом

apartment house

The apartment house of P. Mavromatis, as it befits constructions built in the so-called «brick style», gives an impression of good quality and durability. At the same time, the house is perfectly illustrates the period of rationalization in the architecture of the early XX century.

Type of building: apartment house
Style: «brick style», German Renaissance
Architect: A. B. Minkus
Date of construction: 1906-1908
Status: local architectural and historical monument
Previous building of the site: mansion of A. Beyul

Main facade

General view Central risalit, a view upward Left-side wing, a view upward Flanking pylon

On the even side of Bolshaya Arnautskaya Street, four adjacent sites from number 10 (which will be discussed below) to number 16 were built up on the projects of an outstanding architect A. B. Minkus scoring a great success in eclecticism of the late XIX century as well is in Art Nouveau of various trends of the beginning of XX century.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=218301489096028915799.0004cd6c585f7765bb4b1&&t=h&ll=46.472389,30.746194&spn=0,0&output=embed

Based on the data presented in the reference book of Odessa house owners 1900s, the site number 10 belonged to (at the time of the construction of the house) a certain P. Mavromatis, who owned a shop on Grecheskaya Street under the high-sounding title «Grocery and colonial trade Mavromatis». A mansion of a merchant A. Beyul had been located on that place before (1849, architect. A. Zhalobinsky) and despite the fact that it had been demolished more than a century ago, it was indicated at this address in the reference book by V. Pilyavskiy, but about the house of  Mavromatis there were no  words.

Extensive, four-storey, having along the exterior facade 9 window axes and going deep into the site, the house was building within two years, from 1906 to 1908. When the building was completed the city adorned with one of the best examples of brick residential architecture.

The exterior facade of the building is made in the «brick style» with elements of German Renaissance, and has a considerable likeness to the house of Y. M. Teper on 6, Osipov Street (1901, architect. A. B. Minkus, F. A. Troupyansky), but unlike the latter, brick is not plastered here and the silhouette is devoid of catchy accents.
In addition, there are no any stucco mouldings on Mavromatis’ house and all decorative plastic parts are laid out directly from the brick.

The main emphases of the facade are a dual Renaissance window on the top floor and the entrance portal to the entrance hall, located on the central axis of the window. If one compares the house, for example, with the brick buildings of the architect W. P. Klein, a building designed by A. B. Minkus does not give rise to feeling of weight and ruggedness, owing to high, narrow windows, a small relief of the brick decor.

The exterior facade is symmetrical; three central axes of the window are singled out by a shallow risalit and separated by pilasters. The central axis is double. Risalit pilasters on interstorey level (3-4 floors) are decorated with typical for the style, forged agraffes.

Main facade, decoration details

Agraffe on the pylon (others are similar, but without a circle) Ground floor window Semi-basement window Flag holder Flag holder flute Double windows of the first floor, over the portal

Agraffes are seen also between the windows of the wings and on the pylons flanking the facade, and are located at the same height. It is worth mentioning here that the agraffes use two types of patterns. On the pylons they are X-shaped, from two semi-circles enclosed in a circle, the rest are without a circle. Pylons on the level of the third and fourth floors are supplemented with niches, and the central risalit is crowned by an attic.

An attic segment corresponding to the central axis is higher than its side parts, and plays an important role in the silhouette of the house.

The layout of the building as a whole is symmetric. The main four-storey wing is supplemented with U-shaped yard wing of the same height. The wings form a nearly square in shape, enclosed courtyard.
To the four-storey yard wing, along the axis of the site, a three-story U-shaped one is attached, thus another smaller courtyard is formed. A pass to the first of the courtyard from the street is carried out through an arch located to the left of the main entrance portal.

The arch has flat vaults, supported by austere pilasters. The house gate was dismantled, but the original transom has been preserved and has a similar pattern with balconies fencing of the exterior facade.

Passage arch and the main entrance portal

General view of the arch and the portal General view of the arch and the portal Arch Tethering post
Gate transom Gate transom fragment Balconies fencing made in the same vein as the gate and the transom Balconies fencing
Arch view from within (a view from the courtyard side) Arch view from within (a view from the street  side) Arch finish Sign plate in the arch

Communication between the courtyards is carried out through the arch, arranged symmetrically in the center of a four-storey courtyard wing. Both courtyard wings are built of traditional shell limestone, their facades are very restrained in decoration. Windows are marked out by simple and massive casings, balconies and railings are made using a rare pattern, although its various options are common among Odessa buildings of eclecticism period.

Courtyard facades, a large courtyard

Four-storey wing, a view from the passage arch from the street Four-storey wing, a view from the front window of the main facade Apartments and garrets windows
Back facade of the exterior wing Back facade of the exterior wing Main entrance windows A window of the main entrance
Balcony fence Balcony fence

Entrances to the four-storey wing are located in two corner hollows between its wings, windows illuminating them are arranged in the same place.

Windows illuminating the corner entrances

Over the passage arch into the second courtyard there is a back entrance (now not in use), facing a three-storey wing. Back entrance staircase starts on the first floor, and from the courtyard (bypassing the arch) there is a simple narrow metal ladder.

Four-storey wing facade from the small courtyard side

General view Landing fence of the entrance to the fire escape staircase Landing fence of the entrance to the fire escape staircase

An eentrance to the three-storey apartments is located in the center of the back wing, and in the corners between it and the side wing there are open fire escapes preserved original railings somewhere.

Three-storey wing

General view Fire escape (left-side) Fire escape (right-side) Fire escape railings fragment Original in a form and fence balcony

Three-storey wing, the entrance door

General view Leaf lower fragment

On the facade of a three-storey wing there are balconies of original in plan trapezoidal shape. Balconies fences of both courtyards wings are identical in pattern.

The front wing has only one entrance and seven large apartments for rent, the most comfortable and expensive in the house. The decoration of the entrance hall has been preserved for the most part.

Main entrance portal

General view Decorative door grating Door grating fragment

On the floor of the vestibule formed by two authentic doors, a concrete mosaic landing with a greeting «Salve» (/ / lat. / / Welcome, hello, good health).

Main entrance hall, concrete mosaics

Title Ornament on the lobby floor Corner part of the lobby landing Landing in front of the entrance flight of stairs Landing between flights of stairs Pattern of the landing between flights of stairs Patterns of the floor landings

The remaining floors and landings are also made of concrete mosaic with decorative patterns (some of which are quite rare), and steps — from marble. Railings quote a pattern, common in Europe at the end of the XIX century, but rare in Odessa.

Main entrance hall, railings

General view of the flight of stairs Fragment of the flight of stairs Fragment of the flight of stairs Fragment of the flight of stairs Baluster

Entrance hall windows and apartment doors have been preserved on the whole and quite restrained in decoration.

Main entrance, doors

General view General view Decorative detail

The staircase is spanned by a plafond with a spectacular panel.

Plafond

General view Panel Panel Coving fragment

Lobby vaults are strengthened by beams on massive pilasters, but devoid of decoration.

Lobby general view

Entrance halls at the corners of a four-storey courtyard wing are smaller and oblong in shape. Illumination is implemented by windows arranged in the corners between the wings and a glass lantern above the staircase. Landings are made of concrete mosaic, stairs — of marble, and the lower area near the entrance is ornamented. Railings pattern is very rare, it is likely that the similar are not found anywhere else. On each of the landings there are entrances to the apartments, that is quite possibly due to floors different level of back and side wings.

Entrance hall of the courtyard four-storey wing

Concrete mosaic near the entrance(only lower landing is decorated) Entrance flight of stairs Railings Railings

In the entrance hall of a three-storey wing reasonably priced metal stairs with iron fencing balusters are installed. The stairs preserved the manufacturer sign — «Machinery and iron foundry of V. Restel». A balusters pattern is not unique, but it is hardly widely-spread.

Entrance hall of the three-storey courtyard wing, railings

General view of railings General view of railings from the landing of the first floor Railings of a flight of stairs Horizontal railings Horizontal railings Central fragment of the baluster Baluster fragment A fragment of the baluster between flights of stairs

Entrance hall of the three-storey courtyard wing, the stairs

Steps Trademark of V. Restel’s plant

** Entrance hall of the three-storey courtyard wing, a door **

General view Apartment number plate

The entrance hall is illuminated by a large rectangular window located over a narrow and high entrance door.

In general, the building appears to be durable and quite expensive owing to the execution of the apartment building, with a well thought-out layout and a high degree of rationality in the design approach.

In addition to the architectural value of the house it is also a historical value. On the facade there is a memorial plaque with the following content:

«In this house from June 1996 to October 2004 Alexander Ivanovich Mayorov, Hero of the Soviet Union, fighter pilot, committed 315 combat flights during World War II lived.»

 

 

References and Archives

  • «The architects of Odessa». V. Pilyavsky
  • «The Architecture of Odessa. Style and time». V. Pilyavsky
  • «The buildings, structures, monuments of Odessa and architects». V. Pilyavsky
  • An article on building in a blog Antique

Authors

At the corner of Marazlievskaya Street and Nakhimova Lane a real masterpiece of early, as period concerns, and mature in Art Nouveau content rises. It was created by one of the best Art Nouveau architects of Odessa — Moisei Isakovich Linetskiy in co-authorship with Samuel Savelyevich Galperson. The apartment house of Lutskiy was not the only result of their cooperation, but became the peak.

Type of building: apartment house
Style: ornamental Art Nouveau
Architects: М. I. Linetskiy, S. S. Galperson
Date of construction: 1902-1903
Status: local architectural and historical monument

Facades

General view of the corner Facade on Marazlievskaya Street Facade in Nakhimova Lane

At the beginning of XX century a site on Marazlievskaya Street was not cheap, therefore the street was built up only by the wealthiest people. The vicinity of each of the newly constructed buildings on Marazlievskaya Street with exquisite neighboring mansions and apartment houses dictated somehow the scope and aesthetic level of a new building.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=218301489096028915799.0004ce14a06ea23d7b14c&&t=h&ll=46.483358,30.750203&spn=0,0&output=embed

In 1902-1903 on the site number 2 a real masterpiece of ornamental Art Nouveau, fashionable and expensive in design style in those days, raised. In the year of its construction beginning a new style just took first steps. The early Art Nouveau houses are dated to the same period. It is interesting that the house of Wolf on the corner of Kuznechnaya Street and Uspenskaya Street, built by architects V. Dombrovskisy and Y. M. Ponomarenko, is very similar to the house of Lutskoy in silhouette lines, proportions, shapes and style of decoration, as if the two houses were built by the same architect. There is no doubt that there was a certain exchange of experience between the architects.

Historical photographs of the house

Photograph from the guide of the beginning of the XX century

Building facade fragments in the photographs of Vladimir Georgievich Nikitenko, the  1970s Building facade fragments in the photographs of Vladimir Georgievich Nikitenko, the  1970s

The author of the project M. I. Linetskiy got a site for development at the corner of Marazlievskaya Street and Nakhimova Lane. According to the reference book «All Odessa» of 1903, the house was built on the site of A. Falz-Fein and P. Mavrokordato. In the register of cultural heritage buildings the house on 2, Marazlievskaya Street was listed as an apartment house of M. D. Lutskiy. Subsequently the building changed owners at least twice. In 1908, the house was purchased by a certain O. von Besser, and, according to the reference book «All Commerce and Industry of Odessa» of 1914, the house was assigned to G. E. Fukelman. Lutskiy was mentioned in the reference book «All Odessa» of 1903 in the section «Architecture», but there were gathered people of different professions related to the design and construction, so to establish details using the reference book is not possible.

According to Tatyana Zayarnaya, the author of «Along the Marazlievskaya ...», «... it was occupied by the» department of Noble and Peasants Bank in the house of Marazli located in Baryatinsky Lane with a facade facing Marazlievskaya Street. Peasant Land Bank later moved to the purpose-built on 34a, Marazlievskaya Street, but Noble Bank had been working in this house until the Revolution«.

Despite the fact that the concerned house was implemented in a „pure“ Art Nouveau, traces of the eclectic architecture are still present, although to a small extent. Those include forms of window openings, stair railings, casings of the ground floor windows, vases (borrowed from the Baroque era, once crowned the attic of the house, and now — lost), carved window frames and courtyard facades finishing. However, the above listed details simply drown in the spectacular Art Nouveau decoration of house facades.

Besides vases, the house has lost some really important details over time. A corner part of the building once was crowned with a massive attic- pedestal, served as the basis for a sculpture of a lying lion. Flanking corner part pylons were exquisitely and richly decorated, ending with large sculptures of eagles. Mascarones of the top floor from Marazlievskaya Street were lost completely, but were preserved from Nakhimov Lane side. Most of the balconies lost stone fences posts, however, forged elements were preserved for the most part. At the corner, on the ground floor there was a trading space and the house had a proper decision of the facade in that place, but now it is closed by an annex or destroyed.

Balconies fencing

Balcony of the third floor of the corner part of the house Balcony of the third floor of the corner part of the house, central section Balcony sections of the second floor of the corner part of the house Balcony in Nakhimov Lane, preserved an original fencing in the main Eclectic fence of the first floor balcony in Nakhimov Lane (probably made ​​earlier and carried from another house)

Lutskiy’s house has a rectangular in plan, elongated along the Nakhimov Lane shape, with a large courtyard and a cut corner at the intersection of the streets. Unlike the house on 54, Kuznechnaya Street the wings converge here at a classic right angle. In general both facades at the building lines of the streets are decorated identically, but there are differences. An entrance to the apartments in the wing on Marazlievskaya Street is directly from the street and properly decorated. The corners of the portal have a slight slope towards the central axis, and over the magnificent original door there is a spectacular cartouche with a monogram. The cartouche is skillfully drawn in details by Art Nouveau plastic lines and added on the top by symmetrical wings. The vertical axis of the portal is accentuated by an open bay window-balcony, flanking by common balconies on the second and third floors.

Entrance to the entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street

Portal, general view Portal, general view Cartouche over the portal

Entrance door

Transom Transom detail Detail of the lower part of the leaf Fragment of the door leaf before the restoration

Bay window over the portal

A view upward Fence stone section Profile apertures

The walls of the ground floor are processed by belt rustic stone consisting of two broad profiles.

Ground floor finishing

Fragment of the facade wall in Nakhimov Lane Fragment of the facade wall in Nakhimov Lane Cannelures Cannelures Detail of the original window sash

On the first floor the rustic stone is more classic and austere; window openings have rounded top corners and keystones with moulded ornaments of floral motifs.

First floor finishing

Windows and rustic stone Keystone

The second-floor windows are topped by large fasciae, the part of which is supplemented with mascarons.A vertical windows rhythm is emphasized by the pilasters of smooth curved shapes with the ornament of Obrist in the piers. The windows of the top, the third floor, are the most richly ornamented. Over each of them there are mascarones, performed partly in the „Egyptian“ stylistics and depicting faces of various types and ages. As mentioned above, any of them were preserved from Marazlievskaya Street side.

Upper storeys finishing

Facade fragment in Nakhimov Lane Facade fragment on Marazlievskaya Street

Decorative details of the second floor

Fascia with a mascaron Fascia corbel Fascia corbel Windows with a double fascia Double fascia

Decorative details of the second floor

Windows (on Marazlievskaya Street) Moulded crowning detail Under window detail

Mascarons of the third floor

General view of compositional combination of windows and mascarones Mascaron Mascaron

Facade in Nakhimov Lane is more extensive than the facade on Marazlievskaya Street (14 to 9 window axes respectively). Symmetrically in the center (if ignore the extreme axis of the window adjacent to the corner of the building) there is a passage arch into the courtyard, and its axis is singled out by a risalit, gradually tapering upwards. The similar risalit is located from Marazlievskaya Street side (plays exclusively a composite role). Both risalits are decorated with plant crowning elements in niches over the windows of the third floor.

Risalits

Risalit in Nakhimov Lane, over the passage arch Passage arch, located in the risalit Risalit windows of the second(right) and the third floors on Marazlievskaya Street

Crowning details

Upper part of the risalit on Marazlievskaya Street Upper part of the risalit on Marazlievskaya Street Crowning detail on Marazlievskaya Street Crowning detail fragment on Marazlievskaya Street Crowning detail in Nakhimov Lane

It is worth mentioning one more interesting detail of the facade decoration on the third floor — ornamental belt, stretched out on piers over the entire facade, except for the corner part of it.

Ornament on the piers

The corner part of the facade is the most significant, the dominant element of the house that is emphasized by the pylons on each side and a huge mascaron in its central part above the windows of the third floor. The mascaron is interesting not only for its dimensions (probably it is the largest in the city) but for decoration. Twisted in fanciful design a rope around his neck has made Odessa local historians and art critics to puzzle over the meaning of its presence here for decades. An interesting fact is that the house of Lutskiy is not the only on Marazlievskaya Street where there is a mascaron with a rope around his neck on the facade. A similar sculpture image can be seen on the facades of apartment buildings of N. Kryzhanowskiy-Auderskiy on 54, Marazlievskaya Street (1900, architect. L. L. Vlodek) and N. Belikovich on 5, Marazlievskaya Street (1902, architect D. E. Mazirov). And on the facade of the latter there are two ones. No less interesting is another fact: in other streets of Odessa similar mascarones do not occur.

Corner part of the house

A view upward Windows of the third floor and the mascaron Windows of the third floor and the mascaron

Mascaron

Decoration of the third floor windows, general composition Decoration of the third floor windows, a fragment Decoration of the third floor windows, a fragment
Left-side pylon Right-ide pylon Remnants of the pedestal for an eagle sculpture

The passage arch to the courtyard is designed very simply and has flat vaults.

Passage arch to the courtyard

Inner view Inner view Window of a habitable room in the arch

A forged gate of eclectic pattern, adorned by images of leaves and snakes was preserved.

Gate

General view from the arch Right-side leaf Right-side leaf, a fragment Left-side leaf Lower part of the left-side leaf A leaf A leaf Scroll with a flower Scroll with a snake Crowning detail shaped like a cone

In the arch there are opposite to each other entrances to the entrance hall of a wing in Nakhimov Lane and a habitable room of the ground floor. One of its rooms some time was illuminated by a small round window overlooking the arch, now boarded up and not exploited.

Door of the habitable room in the arch

General view Upper part of the leaf Lower part of the leaf A fragment of the leaf lower part Carved detail Forged lattice Forged lattice fragment

Courtyard facades are made with the use of decorative shapes of the brick style and balconies fences are of an eclectic pattern that copies that of balconies fences in the courtyard of the next house of Ozmidov (number 4). The similarities do not end there.

Courtyard facades

Courtyard façade of the wing on Marazlievskaya Street Courtyard wings, a view from the wing on Marazlievskaya Street Courtyard wing, a big risalit Courtyard wing, a small risalit

Finishing of the windows piers

Window of the second floor Light window of the first floor landing in the entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street (is not used for its intended purpose)

Balconies fencing

General composition General composition Detail Fencing of the third floor

The angles of the wing on Marazlievskaya Street, when coupled with the wings perpendicular to it, are marked out by spectacular risalits having a quarter of a circle in the plan. A similar risalit was applied by the architect Y. Dimitrenko in the above-mentioned next house.

Corner risalit

Original window sashes

Window of the entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street Window of the entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street Window of the entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street Window of the entrance hall in the arch Window of the entrance hall in the arch, a fragment Window of the entrance hall in the arch

Despite the impressive dimensions, the house of Lutskiy has only two entrances and one back door, which can be reached from the courtyard. Facades finishing finds a logical continuation in the interior of the entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street. ​​Even a framing of concrete mosaic landings is made in Art Nouveau style. (!) The most interesting of them is located at the foot of the stairs, in the lobby, and is reproduced in pattern nowhere.

Entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street, concrete mosaics

Concrete mosaic landing at the foot of the stairs into the lobby Concrete mosaic landing of the first floor Concrete mosaic landing of the first floor, a fragment

On the left there is a nonfunctional door to the utility room covered by a subtle and refined carving. Over it there is a small fascia with a keystone and scrolls around the edges supported by corbels. Opposite it, in order to keep to the symmetry of the lobby a similar fascia is located, but there are no apertures under it. The walls of the lobby are finished with moulded frames in the best traditions of decorative Art Nouveau, supplemented by mascarons. The gap between the lobby and the staircase is decorated by a fanciful twist of narrow decorative bands.

Entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street, the lobby

General view

Entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street, the utility room door

General view Decoration in the upper part of the leaf Lower part of the leaf A fragment of the lower part of the leaf A fragment of the lower part of the leaf A fragment of the lower part of the leaf

Fascia over the door

Entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street, decoration of the lobby

Vaults Vaults and the arch, leading to the staircase Finishing of the lobby over the entrance door Finishing detail
Finishing of the lobby door Finishing of the mascaron axis
Mascaron Mascaron
Vaults of the arch aperture Finishing of the arch Finishing of the arch, detail

Here Art Nouveau in stone ends and begins in wood. A staircase has marble steps and concrete mosaic landings. Railings of widespread sample are eclectic. The walls are covered with classic frames, found in a number of buildings of the late eclecticism. Only magnificent carved doors, window frames and framing of concrete mosaic landings are in Art Nouveau style here.

Entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street, the staircase

Landing of the first floor Landing between the first and the second floors Landing between the second and the third floors Landing of the third floor

Entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street, the doors

General view Top detail Top detail A detail of the middle part of the leaf Lower part of the leaf A detail of the lower part of the leaf Handle

Entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street, the windows

Window between the first and the second floors Window between the first and the second floors Window between the second and the third floors Window between the second and the third floors

Entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street, the handrails

Entrance flight of stairs Entrance flight of stairs Stair banister Stair banister General view of flights of stairs Horizontal variant Fastener Fastener

Entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street, a frieze of the staircase

Frieze fragment Frieze fragment

Some of the apartments still carry traces of former magnificence in its design. On the third floor, for example, a niche with a statue of the ancient style and paired corbels with small mascarons supporting joists were preserved.

Entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street, one of the apartments

General view of the vestibule Niche with a statue Corbels with mascarons

Similar corbels-mascarones are located in the entrance hall of the wing in Nakhimov Lane and keep the aperture beam between the lobby and the staircase. The lobby ceiling is decorated with moulded coving and rosette; handrails are similar to the rails in the entrance hall on Marazlievskaya Street.

Entrance hall of the wing in Nakhimov Lane, the lobby

Corbels over the beam Corbels over the beam Rosette Coving

Entrance hall in Nakhimov Lane

General view of two upper flights of stairs Stair banister Stair banister Detail Front banister A view from the landing of the first floor Horizontal variant Horizontal variant

The doors of eclectic style are plain.

Entrance hall of the wing in Nakhimov Lane

General view Carved detail Carved detail Handle Door plate

Window frames remain the only element of Art Nouveau style of the staircase, and their performance is different from the window frames of the first entrance hall.

Entrance hall of the wing in Nakhimov Lane, the doors

Window of the top landing between the floors A fragment of the window sash between the first and the second floors Handle-catch

Coving under the lap of the staircase

The staircase here is more cramped and less illuminated (indicating the location of simpler flats in the wing in Nakhimov Lane than the ones on Marazlievskaya Street). In the same entrance hall, on the landings, niches probably intended for floor vases or statues were preserved.

Niche

Entrance to the stairs of the back entrance is located at the corner of the courtyard, at the junction of courtyard wings. The stairs are made ​​of concrete mosaic and have inexpensive handrails without any decorative frills.

Stairs of the back entrance

The apartment house of Lutskiy can be called one of the key works of the architect M. I. Linetskiy. Many elements of its design were subsequently used in other buildings. For example corbels with mascarons similar to those described, decorate the stair lobby of the house on 66, Nezhinskaya Street and Egyptian stylizations were continued in the house on 14a, Marazlievskaya Street. Despite, however, such self-citations in projects, Linetskiy was able to achieve uniqueness in each of built houses. And despite the large number of similarities and parallels with other buildings (not just Linetskiy authorship), Lutskiy’s apartment house lost part of the facades decoration and badly decayed is, however, one of the most significant examples of early Art Nouveau ornamentation in Odessa.

The most significant chapter in the history of the house is now imprinted on a memorial plaque on the corner part of the building facade:

„In this house, in 1910-1911, a Russian writer Aleksandr Ivanovich Kuprin lived“.

A. I. Kuprin

Portrait bas-relief Memorial plaque Memorial plaque

Here it is also set a portrait bas-relief of the writer. His daughter, K. A. Kuprina in the essay „Kuprin — my father“, writes:

„My father traveled almost all of Middle Russia, liked many of its cities, districts, landscapes, but a special place in his heart occupied Odessa ... At the end of August 1909 we moved to Odessa, where soon rented an apartment with a view of the sea.“

In those years A. I. Kuprin wrote some great novels and short stories that in some way reflected life in Odessa. These are „Gambrinus“, „Garnet Bracelet“, „Listrigony“, „Lenochka“ and some others. About the city Kuprin later wrote:

„... looked everywhere for life smells. Among dockers in Odessa port, thieves, magicians and street musicians there were people with unexpected biographies — visionaries and dreamers with a wide and tender soul.“

It can be said that Kuprin self-forgetfully lived a life of Odessa. With the fishermen he went to sea to catch mackerel and plaice, dressed in a diving suit sank into the water near Hlebnaya harbor, yielding to the magic of the circus, participated in the French wrestling. From the territory of the present racecourse flew in a balloon, and later with the pilot Ivan Zaikin — by plane. This flight ended in crash, but Kuprin and  Zaikin got off, fortunately, only with injuries. In Odessa, the writer became close friends with I. Poddubny, S. Utochkin, an artist Nilus ... In Odessa, he began the second part of the story „The Pit“ ...

The house of Lutskiy is connected with another outstanding name. In 1925-36 in this house a scientist in the field of hydraulics prof. V. N. Pinega lived. Later a ship was called by his name.

 

 

References and Archives

Authors