3 заметки с тегом

1828

The small house, occupying half of the standard size site in the facade width on the building line, has characteristic features that are inherent in creative work of Leonid Chernigov. Above the gate there is a janitor‘s room, and the ground floor was intended to accommodate trading space. However, the identification of the actual author of the project is still problematic.

Type of building: residential house with apartment for rent
Style: ornamental Art Nouveau, modernized eclecticism
Architect: unknown (most probably, L. M. Chernigov or M. G. Reinhertz)
Date of construction: after 1900
Status: local architectural monument

Main facade

General view General view

In the second half of the 19th century this site belonged to I. T. Grigoriev. Address books of 1890s mention that Ivan Timofeevich Grigoriev, merchant of the 2nd guild, arranged an oil storage in his own house. In 1890s another merchant of the 2nd guild, Ivan Ermilovich (or Ermolaevich) Grigoriev at the same address kept a shop selling oils and Russian goods (type of these goods wasn’t mentioned in the advertising). Except this, in Grigoriev’s house Haim Benyaminov Komberg, merchant of the 2nd guild, had a grocery trade. On the turn of 19th and 20th centuries someone Haia Mordkovna Porter opened a bookstore here, and in 1900s Zeylik Shmaryev Kofman, merchant of the 2nd guild, used to sell grocery and colonial goods here. Later D. Zinkovetsky and T. Elfant traded oils here and merchant of the 2nd guild I. P. Rosenblatt rented one of the apartments for living.

In 1904 Grigoriev’s site goes to Motel-Abram Mendelevich Sapozhnik, odessian merchant of the 2nd guild, who made his fortune by selling grocery and ironmongery. Considering stylistic features of the house, we can assume, that it was M.-A. M. Sapozhnik, who ordered its construction. The Cultural heritage register of Odessa claims that this house was built in the end of the 19th century. However, Art Nouveau practically did not occur in Odessa until 1900 (“Tea-packing factory of Vysotsky” represents a rare exception).

In 1910s a vegetable oil storage of the trading house “G. and B. Scheinberg” from Chisinau (its owners were hereditary honorary citizens Gersh and Baruch Scheinberg), plumbing trade of S. B. Shnayden and artificial flower trade of Rukhlya Motelevna Drexels were located in the new Sapozhnik’s house.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=210826835402245267087.0004cd4beeef135d1d078&&t=h&ll=46.472857,30.733031&spn=0,0&output=embed

Undoubtedly, the house dates from the early Art Nouveau, as evidenced by layout, fascia of the top floor, window apertures, railings of eclecticism style and an abundance of floral decor.

Balconies fencing made in an unusual technique for Odessa with the addition of a metal sheet profiles attract attention as well. Similar railings adorn one of the balconies in the courtyard of Koriman house, which is located on the same side of the street, via three numbers at the corner of Preobrazhenskaya Street.
On the second floor there is a standard width balcony, on the first — twice as much.

Balconies

Small balcony of the second floor Large balcony of the first floor

Between the first and second floors the vertical axes are underlined by panels, very typical for Chernigov’s style.

Panel between the first and second floors

The two last left window axes are located on the passage arch and singled out by a risalit, which culminates in a portico in a decorative Art Nouveau vein.

Passage arch risalit

A view upward General view of the second floor decoration Pediment Renaissance windows of the first floor Panel between windows of the first and second floor

Passage arch

General view General view Janitor‘s room windows

The original gate was half preserved and now is hidden behind the new — from monolithic metal sheet.

Gate

Gate leaves Decoration fragment

Old gate leaves are somewhat similar to those that can be found in the homes of Chernigov.

The risalit decoration is rather eclectic. For example, the windows on the first floor have a Renaissance form casing, and just below the pediment there are two slabs, vaguely stylized as rocaille. Such slabs single out the rest of window axes.

Various decoration details of the main facade

Slab-panel Attic  and corbels Panel under a window

From the part of the courtyard it is obvious that the house is not great really, one or two apartments could be located on each floor.

Courtyard facade

General view Arch risalit

A passage arch here is also marked out by a risalit, which houses the entrance hall staircase. An entrance doorway is located directly in the arch. A pattern of original stair railings is like those in the house of Skarzhinskaya (architect M. Reinhertz), which construction was started in 1906 and completed in 1910.

Entrance hall

Railings, the  entrance flight of stairs Railings Railings Railings Railings

Returning to the design of the facade of the courtyard, it is worth to mention a rather unusual panel, decorating the risalit between the windows of the second and third floors. From the courtyard side and overbuilt floor is in sight, it probably appeared in the Soviet years. In the wing, located perpendicular to the exterior facade there is a backstairs door.

 

 

References and Archives

  • «The architects of Odessa». V. Pilyavsky
  • «The Architecture of Odessa. Style and time». V. Pilyavsky
  • «The buildings, structures, monuments of Odessa and architects». V. Pilyavsky
  • An article on building in a blog Antique

Authors

cover black

Новосельского, 68

Первая Кирха украсила Одессу еще в 1828 году. Несмотря на то, что скромное и небольшое по размерам здание до наших дней не сохранилось, оно является интересным примером культовой архитектуры в ранней истории города.

Кирха   1824—1894   1895—1917   1918—1991   Восстановление   Пасторский дом  Храмы-прообразы   Слайд-шоу

Тип здания: культовое сооружение
Стиль: классицизм
Архитекторы: Ф. К. Боффо, Г. И. Торичелли
Даты строительства: 1824-1828
Дата сноса: 1894
Статус: не сохранилась

Первый манифест, которым русское правительство призывало чужих подданных поселиться на его территории, обещая им определенные привилегии, был издан 24 декабря 1751 года, но уже 22 июня 1763 года императрица Российской империи, Екатерина II издала новый манифест, в котором говорилось о даровании привилегий иностранным переселенцам.
Смысл манифеста великой Екатерины сводился к следующему:

  • свобода вероисповедания;
  • освобождение от налогов на 10 лет;
  • каждому семейству выделялось по 60 десятин земли (при переводе на нынешние единицы измерения это не менее 65,5 га);
  • разрешалось строительство фабрик, развитие ремёсел и торговли, создание гильдий, покупка собственной земли и прочее.

Документ этот стал в какой-то степени переломным. В Россию в массовом порядке стали прибывать переселенцы из других стран, в том числе и из Германии.

Старое здание Кирхи на рисунках и литографиях

Кирха в Одессе. Немецкая церковь.

После 1850 года

Кирха в Одессе. Немецкая церковь.

Литография из альбома 1869 года

Основанная позднее Одесса исключением не стала: в 1803 году вблизи города закладывается первая немецкая колония — Гросслибенталь. На протяжении всего XIX века на территории современной Одесской области появилось около 500 колоний. Спустя немногим более столетия после основания Гросслибенталя, в 1905 году недалеко от городской черты возникло одно из крупнейших и, пожалуй, самое известное немецкое поселение — Люстдорф. Селились немцы и в самом городе.

В начале XIX века в Одессе, как и в некоторых других регионах России, происходило формирование немецких сообществ. Своей церкви в Одессе у немецкой общины не было, службы проводились в арендованном помещении. В 1811 году, немецкой общиной Одессы было подано прошение городским властям на строительство собственного храма, но из-за опустошительных войн с Наполеоном и Турцией, оно было удовлетворено лишь в 1823 году.

Под строительство церкви было выделено место на просторном участке, замыкающем перспективу улицы Дворянской, входившем в территорию переданного общине квартала, ограниченного нынешними улицами Новосельского, Кузнечной, переулками Лютеранским и Топольского. Территория эта получила название Немецкой площади, однако позднее она была застроена различными благотворительными и образовательными учреждениями немецкой общины, поэтому своё существование как площадь прекратила. 28 апреля 1824 состоялась закладка здания церкви.

Кирха в Одессе. Немецкая церковь.

Изображение второй половины XIX века

Проект был выполнен Францем Карловичем Боффо, для которого лютеранская церковь была первым крупным заказом, и, к сожалению, неудачным. Уже в июне 1824 года наполовину завершённая колокольня и 10 колонный портик рухнули в главный неф здания, разрушив его. В хронике по этому поводу было помечено лишь кратко: «Архитектор слишком мало заботился о стройке». После неудачи Боффо, строительством руководил другой одесский зодчий — Георгий Иванович Торичелли, проектировавший впоследствии дворцы Хорвата и Камо, здание Английского клуба, 44 лавки Пале-Рояля, Сабанеев мост и другие значимые для города сооружения.

Пасторы церкви Св. Павла в XIX веке

Кирха в Одессе. Немецкая церковь.

Карл Флетнитцер, первый пастор и пробст церкви Св. Павла с 1830 по 1868 г.

Кирха в Одессе. Немецкая церковь.

Герборд Бинеманн, пастор и пробст церкви Св. Павла с 1868 по 1891 г.

Церемония открытия и освящения была проведена 9 октября 1827 года суперинтендентом Южного округа лютеранской Церкви России Карлом-Августом Бёттигером. Эта дата считается датой основания церкви Святого Павла. Церковь, выстроенная Боффо и Торичелли имела относительно небольшие размеры и строгий классический облик.

Над традиционным для классицизма портиком располагалась невысокая одноярусная колокольня со шпилем, над алтарной частью — небольшая декоративная башенка. Они и формировали силуэт, в целом, очень простого по компоновке здания. Отделка церкви продолжалась и после освящения. В 1833 году была построена ограда церкви, на территории немецкого квартала. В следующем году квартал отдан городской думой в пожизненное владение общины. Благоустройство продолжается, высаживаются деревья и кустарники, а в самой церкви установливается орган. В 1839 году (через 12 лет после окончания строительства) отлито и установлено два новых колокола. А в 1866 году в церкви появилось газовое освещение.

Старое здание Кирхи на фотографиях

Кирха в Одессе. Немецкая церковь.

Общий вид

Общий вид с улицы Новосельского

Кирха в Одессе. Немецкая церковь.

Главный фасад в перспективе улицы Дворянской

В первой половине XIX века лютеранская и реформаторская конфессии в Одессе проводили службы в одной церкви. С 1843 года церковь Святого Павла стала только евангелическо-лютеранской.
С закладки первого дома для пастора в 1841 году начинается интенсивная застройка квартала. В 1845-1846 годах строится дом для бедных, престарелых и нетрудоспособных членов церковной общины, начинается строительство общинной школы. В 1858 году школа расширяется и переименовывается в «Немецкое училище Святого Павла». По состоянию на 1863 год в нём насчитывается 718 учащихся различных религиозных конфессий. Впоследствии возводятся: приют для мальчиков (1877-1880), гимназия (1881), административное здание церкви, новый дом для престарелых, школа для девочек (1887-1888).

Кирха в Одессе. Немецкая церковь.

Главный фасад со стороны улицы Новосельского

К началу 90-х годов ХІХ столетия старое здание церкви сильно обветшало и нуждалось в капитальном ремонте. Последний раз строительные работы в храме проводились ещё в 1839 году. Устранялись последствия землетрясения, произошедшего годом ранее. К тому времени храм уже стал тесен для возросшей численности церковной общины, в связи с чем церковный совет в 1893 году принял решение о проведение конкурса на лучший проект реконструкции Кирхи.

Использованная литература и архивы

Авторы

The first Lutheran Сhurch adorned Odessa in 1828. Despite the fact that a modest and small-sized building has not been preserved to this day, it is an interesting example of the cultic architecture of the early decades of the city's history.

Lutheran Church   1824—1894   1895—1917   1918—1991   Restoration   Parsonage  Temples-prototypes   Slideshow

Type of building: Religious cult structure
Style: Classicism
Architects: F. C. Boffo, G. I. Torricelli
Date of construction: 1824-1828
Date of demolition: 1894
Status: not preserved

The first manifesto, where the Russian government appealed to foreign nationals for settling in its territory, promising them certain privileges, was issued on December 24, 1751, but in June 22, 1763 the Empress of the Russian Empire, Catherine II issued a new manifesto, which said about the granting of privileges to foreign settlers.

The meaning of the manifesto of Catherine the Great was as follows:

  • freedom of religion;
  • liberation from taxes for 10 years;
  • each family was allocated 60 acres of land (in conversion to the current unit is not less than 65.5 hectares);
  • it was allowed the construction of factories, the development of trade and commerce, creation of guilds, purchasing their own land and so on.

This document was to some extent a turning point. Settlers began arriving to Russia from other countries in droves, including those from Germany.

Old Lutheran Church building in drawings and lithographs

Lutheran Church in Odessa. German church.

After 1850

Lutheran Church in Odessa. German church.

Lithograph from the album 1869

Founded later Odessa was not an exception: in 1803 near the city the first German colony — Grossliebental was laid. Throughout the XIX century in current Odessa region territory about 500 colonies appeared. Little more than a century after the founding of Grossliebental in 1905, not far from the city limits there was one of the biggest and probably the best-known German settlement — Liustdorf. Germans settled and in the city itself.

At the beginning of the XIX century in Odessa, as in some other regions of Russia, there was a formation of German communities. The German community did not have their own church in Odessa; services were held in a rented accommodation. In 1811, the German community of Odessa filed a request to build their own church to the city authorities, but because of the devastating wars against Napoleon and Turkey, it was granted only in 1823.

For the construction of the church it was allocated a spacious plot closing Dvoryanskaya Street perspective, which was part of the territory of the community quarter bounded by present streets Novoselskogo, Kuznechnaya, Lutheran and Topolsky lanes. The area became known as the German square, but it was later built up with various charitable and educational institutions of the German community, so its existence as the square ceased. April 28, 1824 the church building was laid.

Lutheran Church in Odessa. German church.

Image of the second half of XIX century

The project was completed by Franz K. Boffo, for him the Lutheran Church was the first large order, and, unfortunately, unsuccessful. Already in June 1824 half completed steeple and 10 columns portico crashed down in the main nave of the building, having destroyed it. In the chronicle about it was marked only briefly: «The architect is too little concerned with the construction». After the failure of Boffo, the construction was led by a different Odessa architect — Georgy I. Torricelli,who designed later palaces Horvath and Kamo, the English Club building, 44 benches at the Palais Royal, Sabaneev Bridge and other important facilities for the city.

Pastors of the St. Paul Church in XX century

Lutheran Church in Odessa. German church.

Carl Fletnittser, the first pastor and provost of St. Paul Church from 1830 to 1868

Lutheran Church in Odessa. German church.

Gerbord Binemann, pastor and provost of St. Paul Church from 1868 to 1891

The opening and consecration ceremony was held October 9, 1827 by the superintendent of the Southern District of the Lutheran Church of Russia Charles Augustus Bettiger. This date is considered the founding date of the church of St. Paul. The church, built by Boffo and Torricelli had a relatively small size and strict classical form.

Over the traditional for classicism portico it was located a low single-tiered steeple with a spire above the bema — a small decorative turret. They formed the general silhouette of a very simple in layout building. Decoration work of the church continued after the consecration. In 1833, the church fence was built in the German quarter area. Next year the City Council turned over the quarter to the community in possession for life. Improvement went on; trees and shrubbery were planted, and in the church the organ was installed. In 1839 (12 years after construction) two new bells were molded and installed. And in 1866, gaslight appeared in the church.

Old Lutheran Church in the photographs

Lutheran Church in Odessa. German church.

General view

Lutheran Church in Odessa. German church.

Main façade in Dvoryanskaya Street perspective

In the first half of the XIX century, Lutheran and Reformed denominations in Odessa held a service in the same church. Since 1843, the church of St. Paul was the only Evangelical Lutheran.
With the laying of the first home for the pastor in 1841, the intensive development of the quarter began. In 1845-1846 the house for the poor, aged and disabled members of the church community were built, a construction of community school started. In 1858, the school expanded and renamed in «the German school of St. Paul». As of 1863 it had 718 students of different religious faiths. Subsequently asylum for boys (1877-1880), gymnasium (1881), the administrative building of the church, a new home for the aged, schools for girls (1887-1888) were raised.

Lutheran Church in Odessa. German church.

Main facade from Novoselskogo Street

By the early 90s of the XIX century the old church building had become dilapidated greatly and needed in major repairs. Last construction works, eliminating the effects of the last year’s earthquake, were carried out in the temple in 1839. By the time the church had become too small for the growing number of the church community, and therefore the church council in 1893 decided to hold the competition for the best project of the Lutheran Church reconstruction.

References and Archives

Authors